Flat Service Charge Disputes, Lease Extensions & Freehold Acquisition
As a flat owner you have many rights to protect you from your freeholder or its agent. These generally come under the following groups of rights:
- Protection from unreasonable service charges
- The right to extend your flat lease by up to 90 years
- The right to purchase the freehold in conjunction with other owners
- The right to take over the management of the block or house, again with the other owners (this is often the cheapest and simplest option)
If you are having problems which need to be resolved we would always suggest that you try to work in a group of owners to reduce costs.
As well as helping individual flat owners, we can assist the resident owned flat management company, either straight away, or after it has either acquired the freehold or taken over under the rights to manage.
We will normally charge a flat annual fee for looking after the company, which would include updating it on changes in the law, acting as company secretary, filing accounts and annual returns, and just being available to answer questions. We would also attend the AGM occasionally, or always if there is potential trouble.
- Guide to S.20 Consultation
- Guide to Basic Shorthold Tenancy Guarantee Clause
- Guide to Forfeiture: Implications on the granting of another lease before the original tenant applies for relief
- Guide to the Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS)
- Guide to Holiday Lets Covenant for Residential Use
- Guide to Dispensing with Service Charge Consultation Requirements
- Guide to changes to Chancel Repair Liability after 12 October 2013
|Who to contact for this service:|
|Bridport Office (01308 422313):|
|Dorchester Office (01305 250100):|
|Weymouth Office (01305 771000):|
|Mike Harvey, Simon Harvey or Kathryn Day|
|Portland Office (01305 821948):|
|Simon Harvey or Kathryn Day|